- How do I make a claim?
We want to make it easy for you to make a claim if something has gone wrong with your job. Simply contact us to register your claim or schedule a callback with one of our team.
We recommend you have all the information to hand about what happened before you contact us to register your claim. Don't worry if you need more time to gather information though. You can still register a claim and we'll provide the support you need to get the process underway.
If you registered a claim online, one of our team will follow up with a call, normally within four working hours during the week, or first thing Monday if you register your claim at the weekend.
- What do you need from me to register a claim?
- When you register a claim online or over the phone, we'll ask you to tell us what happened. Take photographs and videos if you think they are relevant and may help us assess your claim. Gather any related invoices, receipts and correspondence. We'll provide you with a way to send files to us if we need them later on.
- How long does the claims process take?
- Every claim is different. Once your claim is underway, we'll contact you to discuss the details and explain how your claim will progress. There are no fixed timescales for this but we'll always try to make the process as smooth and stress-free as we can.
- How long do I have to make a claim?
- You have thirty days from the date that work was completed to register a claim.
- How will my claim be processed and settled?
- We want to settle claims without delay and undue stress to you. We'll always try to assess and validate your claim based on the information we have at hand. In some cases, we may appoint an approved supplier or expert to assess and validate your claim on our behalf.
Once your claim has been accepted, we'll attempt to mediate between you and your tradesperson. Most tradespeople want their customers to be happy and will be keen to resolve any issues amicably. If we're unable to help mediate a successful resolution, we'll quickly move to complete your job to the specification and standard originally quoted and agreed.
We'll work closely with you to find a suitable tradesperson who will complete your job. Your claim handler will provide you with options and guidance but we think it's important that you make the final decision about who to work with.
On completion of your job or at agreed stages during the job, your replacement tradesperson will invoice you. Once you've paid the invoice we'll reimburse you the same day, providing you send us the invoice and proof of payment before 2pm on weekdays.
- Why might my claim be declined?
- MyBuilder Plus is committed to settling all valid claims, ensuring the job you get is the job you paid for. Like all insurance policies though, your MyBuilder Plus policy documents contain conditions and exclusions which you should review carefully to avoid any misunderstandings.
- Can I insure a job that has already started?
- MyBuilder Plus policies are intended to cover the cost of rectifying or completing work that began after your policy cover has started. You won't be able to register a claim on a policy for work that began before you purchased a policy.
- Is it possible to add more work to an existing MyBuilder Plus policy
- If your job changes, you can ask your tradesperson to create a new MyBuilder quote for any extra work you would like to be covered. You'll then be able to buy another policy based on the new quote.
- How do I cancel my policy and get a refund?
- We have different refund policies depending on when you want to cancel:
- Cancellations within 14 days: Providing work has not started, we'll refund your payment in full, in line with your statutory rights.
- Cancellations after 15 days: We don't issue refunds if you choose to cancel your policy after 15 days have elapsed since purchase.
- What if the tradesperson causes damage to something not covered in the quote?
- Your MyBuilder Plus policy covers everything included in the quote, including accidental damage to fixtures and fittings. Accidental damage caused by your tradesperson to anything outside of the quote is not covered. Many tradespeople have public liability insurance which is designed to cover property damage or injury to a member of the public, including customers.
- I can't get in touch with my tradesperson, what should I do?
- Contact us and we'll do our best to put you back in touch with your tradesperson.
- How do I make a complaint?
- If you feel that we've let you down and want to take it further, please visit our dedicated page on how to make a complaint.